Monday, February 15, 2010

Update

Anyone ever make croissants? I'm not talking about pre-made, pre-packaged, brand name dough from the store that only requires a "remove from package, roll triangles, bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes" to turn out less than impressive, flavorless calorie-ridden lumps of dough.

No, I'm talking about the kind that take all day to make, and about 3 days worth of butter! Leave it to the French to find the most splurge worthy way of indulging in fat and carbs! (Though it's rumored they started in Budapest in the 17th century.)
There's this technique were you "turn the dough."

Basically you make a simple yeast dough... (test the yeast in warm water or milk & sugar, add flour, and egg and salt, knead, let rise for about double the time of regular bread).
While all that's going on, you take a hell of a lot of butter and flatten it out with a rolling pin, or a whacking tool of your choice. A rolling pin seems to be the classic choice of many French chefs but you can use your imagination! You roll it flat into a rectangle between 2 sheets of waxed paper then refrigerate it till it's stiff again.
Once the dough is done you punch it down then refrigerate it for 30 min. Then you roll it out into a rectangle, double the length and width of the butter rectangle. You place the butter on top then fold in all the corners of the dough to encase it like an envelope. You then fold the 'package' in thirds, roll it, turn it, fold it in thirds, roll it, hen refrigerate it for 30 min again.
(Trust me... it's worth it, plus you'll build up an appetite) This method sandwiches the butter between layers of over-soft dough, almost like a puff pastry.
Your repeat this again... fold in thirds, roll, flip, foll in thirds, roll, flip. Refrigerate.
Think, now you have about 81 layers of butter dough butter dough.....!!!
Once it's cold again, roll it into a circle, being gentle with the layers and use a pizza cutter to make triangles across. You then roll the triangles and give the crescents a little half moon shape. Let rise for about 2 hours (I know, I know) then bake at 350 degrees for about 30 - 40 minutes.
All I can say is that they are pure HEAVEN... in the form of butter!!!! MY GOODNESS!!!
The crinkle of the splitting layers (which my brother heard over the phone) was enough to melt my heart! The smell of buttery dough wafting from the oven tantalized Andrews' taste buds from about 10 in the morning till 4pm when they were finally ready.

We ate them all before I had time to take a picture. Besides.... a picture could in no way do this dish justice. And that's just it...it's a dish in itself. It doesn't need a garnish, it doesn't need a side dish. The mighty croissant can stand proud all alone as one of the few foods in the world that holds such power. I suppose you'll just have to just make these little bundles of joy to experience the extent of love for which I showed my 4 croissants!

MY NAME IS CLAIRE MATLOCK... AND I LOVE BUTTER!

2 comments:

  1. Yum...croissants have been on my "to make" list forever. I should really get around to that. Yours sound great! I love butter too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! Do make them! :) And you should take a picture too! I'm also thinking of rolling up a little square of dark chocolate into the centre on the croissant and drizzling it when they're done cooling :D

    ReplyDelete