Sunday, April 11, 2010

What's for Dinner? Chinese BBQ Beef on a Cedar Plank with






This was the nice cut of beef I bought from the market yesterday.
To start I soaked a cedar wood plank all morning to prevent burning on the BBQ later.
I trimmed the meat then marinated it in a combination of: garlic, shallots, star anise, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce (just a dash for the depth of flavour), stock, bashed up cloves, fresh grated ginger and a little bit of wine.
Once it hit 4:30 pm, I smoked the wood on the BBQ and when most of smoke had subsided I turned it up to high and smacked the beef right on the plank.
I roasted it for about 10 minutes then turned it down to low low to cook for just under an hour, brushing with the marinade every 10 minutes.
I let it rest then sliced it (as seen on picture).
I wish I had taken a snapshot of the roast on the BBQ - it was spectacular!
No need for a gravy of sauce because the marinade/basting soaked through.

Served with butter roasted zucchini (my new favourite) and eggplant done on the BBQ.
Alongside was a creamy root vegetable mash because I'm trying to use up all the squash and parsnips and potatoes and carrots in the house... there are just too many!!
Pictures of the zucchini before going into the oven (you can'y see the butter/oil underneath) and the vegetables before being mashed.

Dessert was simple and sweet: melon (as we have every night) and frozen grapes that never get to hard and turn into an icy/pulpy/bursting bite. They are magnificent - you must try!

No comments:

Post a Comment