Saturday, April 17, 2010

What's for Dinner? Lamb Navarin Re-Invented & Market Beans






"Navarin" is a French stew of lamb/mutton. When vegetables are added, it's called a 'Navarin Printanier'. Historically, it is thought that the name derived from the 1827 battle of Navarino, but it is plausible that it just refers to the French name for turnips - 'navet'.

The stew was done in the dutch oven and took about 5 hours from start to finish. Though 4 of the hours I wasn't even in the kitchen. The lengthy cooking time ensures that the meat is tender, and will literally fall off the bone - as seen in the attached video. I bought the Lamb from Charles' Meats at the market - called 'Dino Shanks'.

Instead of adding the turnips to the stew, I grated them with some potato and squeezed out the excess liquid - yummy stuff! Turnip juice anyone? Then I added an egg and s&p and a lil' dried bouquet garnis for the 'frenchiness'. (I will always put quotations around non-existing words to validate them!) I made them into patties and pan fried them, then a quick cook through in the oven for 20 minutes.

Lovely market beans on the side - just as they are.




video

No comments:

Post a Comment