Monday, July 12, 2010

Dinner - Vintage Style!



I was kickin' back, watching an old airing of Nigella Lawson's Nigella Bites and she was preparing a meal for her chic, London socialite crowd (I secretly fantasize about living in some horribly expensive, nevertheless trendy burrough loft, spending every pay check on unnecessary cooking supplies like terrine molds and potato ricers). She made matchstick french fries, deep fried, battered fish, iceberg salad and an assortment of crudités. Classic, yet stylish.

Tonight I decided to go full throttle and whip out Julia Child's MtAoFC V1. Okay. So her name has been a little overworked lately. But, for good reason. Her cookbook is sort of a cooking manual - all the basics, covered. Measurements are exact, method is written step by step, and she never forgets to include a subnote of how to fix a recipe that went so terribly wrong. Until you read the 5 pages of omlette making (including diagrams) you just assume that tossing eggs in a pan is a simple matter. Oh No! There is an ART to it. That... is what I love.

The potato and cheese sticks went something like this: boil 1/2 pound of potatoes (one large or two small) in salty water, drain it, cook off the water, use a ricer (I used the detachable masher on my immersion blender) to grind up the dry potatoes. Add 2/3 cup of flour, mix well. Add 1 egg and mix till smooth again. Add 1 cup of grated Gruyere (YUM!). Add a dash nutmeg, cayenne, white pepper (I used black), but no salt because it won't need it. Mix and pour the load into a pastry bag (I used a ziploc) and pipe little lines onto a cookie sheet. They are supposed to be the size of french fries, but I was lazy and went with little sausages. I also sprinkled them with a little Parmesan. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.

The fish was just a piece of cod, dried and dredged in flour and pan fried in butter and oil.

Everything was served on a bed of green leaf lettuce (from the farm) and garnished with tartar sauce (homemade- and explained in the next post) as well as edible flowers.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I am your dog!

    Where did you learn to cook like this? Those pictures are making me hungry!

    Keep up the good job, Ontario local food also need lots of local recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!
    Haha, Darcy is a pretty lucky dog. She eats everything from leg of lamb to turnips in a butter sauce.

    I just like to experiment in the kitchen, and the parents have always been good on giving us free range to try things out. (In the culinary sense.)

    Within a year or so of cooking everyday, you really begin to realize the quality of GOOD ingredients. Anything from a box just doesn't measure up! Once you go local... you never go back!!

    Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete