Saturday, July 31, 2010

To Market.... To Market....






This week I am up at at the cottage on Lake Huron. Fishing rod in hand, bike in toe... I'm all set!

Right now I'm sitting on the porch with my laptop, watching the rain-clouds sweep in from the lake.

Here is this morning's story:

*See the new pictures to clarify.

I woke up at 7am and quickly got ready. Fed the dog. Yadda Yadda.
At 7:45 I was on my bike riding to the bakery on Main street.
I arrived at 8am. Apparently, these days, bakeries no longer open early because this one already had a line up of people waiting for the 9am opening. I was seventh in line and waited for an hour. Now, that may sound lengthy, but if you new this bakery, you would wait for their: Honey croissants, flax bread, alpine bread, butter tarts, cheese buns, strawberry tarts, meat pies, etc. etc. They make about 30 different things, no more, but they do them EXTREMELY well! And so I waited...
After a load drop-off at the cottage, I biked 4 km outside of town to pickup vegetables from the "Hi-Berry" farm. I grabbed new potatoes, strawberries and an heirloom tomato.

They will be my stand in farm while I'm away from Fertile Gorunds.

Then I went to the meat market and picked up some local sausages. The 100mile meat market is fabulous! They are able to survive in this small town because they only sell the good cuts (lamb shanks, strip-loins, pork chops, etc) by special order, while keeping the consistent sellers always stocked (sausages, chicken breasts, etc). This way, they only order exactly what they have a customer for.

I also stopped by the 100mile super market and picked up some cute nectarines. I think I'll be making some variation of a tart for dessert.

It's a good thing it's about to rain and pour outside. I hate admitting this, but I'd rather been inside boiling potatoes and making a tart, watching the "DaVinci Code" on the History Chanel then sitting on the beach.

I'll have the dinner photos up after the supper-hour.

Between going to the hi-berry, our CSA pickup and the markets I am STOCKED!

No comments:

Post a Comment