Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Nono's garden

My Nono and Nona who live about an hour away maintain a garden in their 400 sq/ft backyard.
Every year they plant, prune and harvest.
In their late 70's, they still manage to grow fruits and vegetables exotic to Ontario like figs, grapes, apricots and select beans, (not the long kind but the kind you would purchase dried or canned)
Beyond this, they grow the usual Italian staples like tomatoes, zucchinies, Romain and other lettuces, parsley, basil and oregano.

See the pictures for reference.
Are you as amazed as I am that they get a tomato yield of nearly 40 bushels/year on that small plot of land!?

We took some chili peppers that Nono grew in Canada to my great-Aunt Rosa in Italy by check-in luggage. She loved them!



















2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I just wanted to touch and eat everything there :)

    ReplyDelete