Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What's for Dessert? Orange Mille-Feuilles with Bittersweet Chocolate, Caramel Crust and Candied Orange Peel

Not going to lie, these were a bit labour intensive. And at one point, I was so frustrated that my egg yolks weren't thickening that I marched off into the bathroom, confronted myself in the mirror and TOLD MYSELF... "It's you against the egg yolks, just get the damned buggers to thicken, whatever it takes!"




I had already put the proper amount of pastry flour in the mixture, tempered the yolks, done everything correctly, but nothing was working, so I ended up dumping a 1/4 cup of corn-starch in the pot and whisking like mad. It did the trick but I had to press the whole thing through a sieve to even it out.

Basically, a "Mille Feuilles" (1000 leaves) or "Napoleon" as Canadians would call it, is a layered stack of pressed puff pastry and sweet, thick custard. Each component is cooled before being stacked and then the whole rectangle tower is cooled (will look like a long strudel) before being sliced the next day.

*In the pictures you'll see the puff pastry that I had already baked (with another baking sheet and a casserole dish on top to prevent any rising), which was then cooled, cut in half and had its burnt edges trimmed to leave a neat pastry rectangle.

Read this recipe if you are brave.
I sure as hell didn't have a clue what I was getting into.
http://www.famousfrenchdesserts.com/napoleon-dessert-recipes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment