Monday, August 30, 2010

What's for Dinner? Light Italian Soup with Chard and Tomatoes



I made the chicken broth by boiling down the chicken carcass from yesterday's meal with: onions, shallots, 1 small potato, 1 large quartered tomato, chives, parsley, basil, a bay leaf, tsp of dried chillies and salt. I covered everything with a lot of water (about enough to boil pasta) then stuck a lid on the pot and boiled the heck out of it for about 6-7 hours. I strained everything through cheesecloth and was sufficiently surprised by how intense the flavour was. Chicken-ey, vegetable-ey, sweet, savory.....
I poured the broth into a pitcher and let it refrigerate over night. In the morning, I skimmed off the fat and then that evening I heated it up, steamed some diced tomatoes and chopped chard and in a separate pot, boiled the short pasta. The drained pasta was added to each bowl and 2 ladles of the broth w/ veg. was added to that.
I served the soup with a nice bit of grated parmigiana reggiano, because that's just what my Nona does. The soup will then look kind of murky but taste fabulous!

I also had a salad on the side. Done up with romaine, long red peppers (the kind that come to a point), basil and celery leaves dressed in a light vinaigrette with plenty of salt and homemade croûtons.

Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment