Sunday, August 29, 2010

What's for Dinner? Whole Chicken Stewed in a Rich Tomato Broth with Canelinni Bean Crostinis and Oily/Garlic-y/Salty Chard



The whole chicken was cut-up into 2 breast, 2 thighs and 2 wings.
I fried them in batches in my lovely dutch oven to get their skins crisp and to render some chicken fat for cooking the onions, shallots and garlic. Once those were nicely browned and there were crispy bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, I deglazed everything with thick tomato juice and added torn up canned and fresh tomatoes. I added some quartered new potatoes and let everything simmer for about 40 minutes. I added back the partially cooked chicken pieces and let it go for another 20 minutes. To serve I garnished with fresh basil and chunky pepper to freshen-up the stewed flavours. It was delightful! *Oh, and make sure to serve with the cooking juices.

The crostini was soft Italian bread topped with canelinni beans that had been cooked and mashed with an infused olive oil. (Infused with chopped garlic and orange peel and sage.) Drizzle the topped crostinis with olive oil, and sea salt and top with some fried sage leaves.

The chard was chopped and plunged in salted boiling water. (First the woody stems, then the greens to promote even cooking). Again, drizzled it in oil and fried garlic.

Being back from Italy all I seem to be craving is salty, lacy prosciutto, rich buffalo mozzarella, LOTS and lots of olive oil and obscene amounts of garlic.

I'm running as usual every night with a few situps and pushups and squats for good measure, but the olive oil and wine and limoncello is making things a bit challenging. I'm scared that I will eventually choose the decadent dining over the excercise. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment