Saturday, September 4, 2010

What Do You Do at 5:30AM on a Saturday Morning?

I like to go to the Kitchener market and help out at Angie's stall, selling all the vegetables that are not used in the CSA. The picture is not from this Saturday, it was from a few weeks before I went on Holiday. Had the picture been from this week, you would have seen three of us huddled under a tent, bracing the ceiling frame to keep the whole operation erect, with wind and rain blowing the burlap around, and baskets and baskets of produce EVERYWHERE!
You see, the market organizers forgot to set up Angie's tent, which isn't a regular occurrence, but makes it quite difficult to pull things together before customers start arriving. Because our tent was bordering the edge of the road, we must arrive last to set up, giving other vendors a chance to set-up further in. Yes, there is in fact an organized chaos to it all, even at 4am in the morning until everyone arrives.
Despite the trouble, we managed to pull it together for the customers.
Just another reason we must remember to thank our farmers. Just working with Angie today, I saw a few of the difficulties she faces to get her organic produce to customers, new and old.

6 comments:

  1. It is good to see young people promoting local farmers.

    Farming is very labour intensive and not for the faint at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Vic!
    Though I must say, I've pushed the idea of helping out at the farmer's market, or volunteering at a farm to my school friends..... not so popular an idea apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up Claire! My brother is a young farmer just like Angie (he knows Angie too!). He tells my parents to go buy from Angie during their weekly market trips because young farmers need help. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Laura!!
    That is so cool!
    Is he based in St. Agatha?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Though I must say, I've pushed the idea of helping out at the farmer's market, or volunteering at a farm to my school friends..... not so popular an idea apparently. "

    LOL! True. But they spend hours and pay to go to the gym.

    Farm workout is much more intensive.

    Vic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more!
    I said it before and I'll say it again...
    Farmers are the strongest, most persevering, ingenuous people I know!!

    *Plus, Angie buys us Croissants :) Hee hee.
    There is nothing better than flaky pastry and melting butter with a dab of chocolate on a cold morning.

    ReplyDelete