Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What's for Dinner? Stuffed Crepes with Bearnaise Sauce and Zucchini on the Side



This one is for my hospitality teacher at school. Mr. Miller has helped train many chefs, both local, and national. Seeing as I miss so many classes due to my overloaded schedule (student council, 2 jobs, sports, etc...) I have attempted to complete tomorrow's class, as my family's dinner for tonight.

It is the beginning of the year so we are taking things slow, and I heard a rumor that we will be advancing into Duck Confit before the semester is over! Tomorrow we are making perfect crepes, so here is my take on them. A good crepe is light, airy, and evenly browned with a little crispness on the edges. I used my heavy bottomed pan, refrigerated the batter, and greased the pan generously (but not greasily).
The first picture you'll see is me attempting to show you how thin the crepes are. (It was an A+ crepe Mr. Miller!) The crepes had a filling of local onions/spinach/garlic.

The Bearnaise Sauce, again, was my teacher's idea. He brought the class fresh herbs from his garden and generously gave me a huge bunch of tarragon. I was showed how to make 'tarragon vinegar' to use in sauces and dressings instead of adding them separately each time. Though I didn't have time to prep that tonight, I'll make it tomorrow-night to use in the future. A real Bearnaise has tarragon, vinegar, shallots, chervil, egg yolks and butter. Cooking it on a double boiler worked for me because it didn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.

Just some roasted zucchini on the side, only because we have SO MUCH of it from our CSA pickup last Friday.

Yum Yum Yum!! We all loved eating this dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment