Tuesday, October 12, 2010

You Voted...

This week you voted that I make butter chicken from the chicken I have in the deep-freeze. I think this is a wonderful way to rejuvenate the flavours after having been in storage.
When I find a good source of organic/farm meat from the market, I'll stock up and throw it in the freezer for later use.
In doing this, there is no excuse to complain about the expense of organic products. Stock up on what's cheap and plentiful instead of buying every week and out of season...

So. The Butter Chicken.
I hate to reduce an entire food culture to one dish, but this particular style of chicken seems to resonate with us North Americans the most. Indian food, like any other country is divided by regions: Andhra, Bengali, Goan, Gujarati, Hyderabadi, Punjabi, etc, and particular spice-blends are key. The difference between the North and South, East and West flavours varies greatly, as much as say risotto in the North of Italy to swordfish and tomatoes in Sicily. I could finesse over the variants in ingredients, serving techniques, vegetarian vs. non-vegetarian, etc, but I'll just refer you to my favourite source of Indian Cuisine Wisdom --> http://www.indianfoodforever.com/regional-cooking.html

Butter Chicken, I believe is Punjabi, but you might want to correct me on that one.

Tonight I'll cook up a little Indian feast.
Pictures are soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment