Saturday, November 27, 2010

What's for Dinner? Stewed Romano Beans with Fall Veg., Beet Slices, Bitter Greens

This was most definitely the last memory of the hot weather, as now the snow is falling outside.
The extra-sweet beets (that we got in bulk-order from the farm) worked really nice to balance out the bitterness of the greens. The beans were purchased for 1.10$/lb at the market. (How's that for economical?!) I soaked them overnight, boiled then simmered them the next day in salted water with a bay leaf and garlic cloves. Once they were tender, I combined them in the pot where I hat eggplant, the LAST peppers and leeks cooking in a chicken stock/tomato concasse. The beets were simply trimmed, boiled, peeled and sliced into disks. I dressed them with a lemon vinaigrette and fleur de sel. This was a delicious meal, and guaranteed it came in at under $10 for everything included. Beans are the future my friends!!!

*I'm having to get a bit more creative in the kitchen now that the cold-weather has set in. I'll try my best to re-invent the ol' potatoes and apples kinda' winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment