Thursday, December 23, 2010

What's for Snack? Nona's Crispelles

This is my Nona's recipe.... if you can call it that.
Trying to extract measurements was futile, as she only gave me rough ideas on how the texture was supposed to look and feel. 
As an Italian grandmother, her idea of cooking and eating is something passed down through the generations. Her and my Nono (grandfather) grew up in a village located a few hours south of Rome. See this past blog post for  reference --> http://cooking-with-claire.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-photos-from-my-travels.html
After the Germans and Americans swept through Monte Cassino during the peak of WWII, they were forced to survive or clear-out. They did both. The result is a style of eating that is close to the ground (farming, raising animals, butchering, etc) yet influenced a little by their new country. What you have is an elderly couple that grows their own tomatoes in the back-yard of suburbia, yet watches the price is right and eats 'corna-flakees' once in a while.
I think it's splendid.
See pictures of their garden I took in the summer here --> http://cooking-with-claire.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-nonos-garden.html

This dish, called "Crispelle," is a doughy fritter dotted with sultana raisins. The thick batter is allowed to rise about an hour, then is deep fried, puffs in the oil and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar to finish. I think this is a wonderful representation of the mixing of cultures. Though not the healthiest creation, granted, it has a familiarity to it when you smell the scent wafting from the bubbling oil, as you hover over the stove, bobbing the fritters like nona does.

4 comments:

  1. Claire, can you send me the "recipe"? These look and sound very similar to a traditional Mennonite recipe called Portzelky (PORT-zel-cha). I'd love to know how close they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course :)
    I'll send it to you via facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    This looks the crispelles my mother-in-law used to make. Since she passed away two yr.s ago we have not been able to replicate the recipe.
    would you please consider sending me the recipes to my email........ grippa@comcast.net

    Thank you so very much !!!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seriously looks scrumptious. I can’t wait to try making it. Been on a brussels sprouts kick lately!I’m always keen for recipes with so this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete