Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Making-Do

And that title might just be the understatement of the century! I'm eating better and better every day. I've now made pasta from scratch with a homemade tomato sauce, including dried herbs I bought locally while in Italy, onions and garlic. For breakfast, a lovely slice of homemade bread with a draping of silky, sweet roasted red peppers we froze in the summer, a slice of fried salami my Nono made and a well-done egg to top it, only to be garnished with preserved chillies. Yum! I could do this 100-mile thing for a year! And I am.



    

2 comments:

  1. Yay for homemade bread! I got into the habit of baking a loaf about once/week and freezing it in slices so that I can pull out a slice here or there when I want one. I have a sourdough starter that my brother made using his home-grown spelt and rye flour. It's now been "fed" many times with either white or whole wheat flour, but it's still been mostly local. I can bulk it up and send a jar of it over to you next time Louise comes to Toronto if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make it a routine as well :)
    I would love that! I have to read up on 'feeing' yeast, but it seems to be very popular with the 100-mile'ers' the more I read.
    Very interested.
    If it's not too much work.... as you have more important priorities...
    Hehe, *cough*THE BUMP*cough cough

    ReplyDelete