Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's for Dinner? Bean Mash, Savoy Cabbage, Wild & Button Mushrooms and Fresh Bread

This was a quick and simple dinner (as they seem to be these days, during final exams for school). I'm still manging to keep local with all my ingredient choices, which makes me feel accomplished in these dark days of winter. In the summer, eating local is more of a luxury. Think of those sweet ears of  fresh corn you bring home in August. People praise about the fresh, crispness of texture and the candy-like sweetness in flavour. Nobody praises about cabbage in January. Especially not my brother. I'm trying to find ways to bring that sense of pride back to the table during these unfavourable months. A well-organised, well-stocked fruit cellar (http://cooking-with-claire.blogspot.com/2011/01/revamped-fruit-cellar.html) is one of those ways. Also, buying what fresh produce I can find at the market, particularly root vegetables make me very proud! I was recently overjoyed when I found Jerusalem artichokes! It feels great to be sticking to the challenge at such a difficult time of year. After bussing home from school in ice-cold weather, there would be nothing better than making a cup of hot chocolate, but of course, that's not an option. I get started on making a dinner like this one, and sip a cup of local herbal tea instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment