Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What's for Dinner? Black-Eyed Beans and Wheat-Berries in a Rich Tomato Sauce with Lamb Meat-Balls

Isn't it frustrating when a meal is so darn tasty but not too good-looking? This is the perfect case. I made spelt bread soon as I got home from school and got my wheat-berries and beans (which had soaked overnight) on to a simmer. A fresh tomato sauce, packed with a load of translucent onions made the perfect base to carry the flavours of the beans, grain and lamb meatballs.
I bought good quality, ground lamb from Charles' Meats in Town and packed them full of basil, oregano (which has a great affinity for lamb), bread crumbs, a few binding ingredients. I pan fried them to develop a crust and cooked-out some of the fat, then they went for a dunk in the sauce. I simmered everything (sauce beans, grain and meat-balls) for about an hour to let the liquid evaporate and reveal a beautifully thick (stew-like) main course which tasted divine! On the side I served a slice of roasted squash and a thin slice of spelt bread for mopping up the sauce.
A little out of the ordinary, but my family loved it!
It's the hearty kind of meal that uses up a load of pantry ingredients and is perfect for a chilly day.

No comments:

Post a Comment