Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fried Zucchini Blossoms

Also known as Fiori di Zucca in Italy, the flowers of the zuchinni plant are coated in batter (often dredged in flour or breadcrumbs too) and then fried in oil. Because the flowers are so delicate, and must be hand picked and used immediately, it is VERY difficult to buy them from a store or market. I was fortunate enough to have farmer Angie let me pick them right off the farm. They are such a treat and have a flavour all their own. They are best picked in the morning when they begin to open up, but I snagged mine towards the end of the day. In doing this I had to hand-open each one and remove tiny little cucumber beetles which found a cozy home amid the petals. (A small price to pay for organic produce). Once home I coated them in egg/milk, dredged in flour/breadcrumbs/salt/parsley and fried in canola oil. All the ingredients were local, and let me tell you, it was delicious! Fluffy, crackly and soft and sweet on the inside. *Remember to remove the pistils before cooking.  I also sliced up half a patty-pan squash and cooked it the same way.




No comments:

Post a Comment