Saturday, August 20, 2011

Blueberry & Peach Pie Re-Invented

 Today we bought a proof of blueberries for $50 and a 1/2 bushel of peaches for $10. After slicing, packing and canning all day, I'm hoping we have enough to last through the winter. ...I'll use them sparingly.
I snuck a few of them away to use in tonight's dessert: "Pie in a glass"

To make this trifle-like concoction, I made a thickened blueberry sauce, stewed peaches, flat & round pie crusts (baked on a sheet pan) and a sweet cream. I layered them into tall, wide-rimmed wine glasses because I adore nothing more than eating out of something that should be used to hold a drink. Good examples: brownies baked in hot-chocolate mugs, creme-brulee in tea cups, soups in shooter cups as an appetizer and parfaits in goblets.

5 comments:

  1. Last week I put away about ten pounds of blueberries for the winter too! I hope it gets us through! This week I cut up ten perfectly ripe melons for fruit smoothies, all three of us will enjoy fruit smoothies for breakfast all winter- we figure it will keep the scurvy away!
    Yours for a Hundred Miles!
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and your dessert looks fantastic! And I write with too many exclamation marks, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, good for you :)
    That's fantastic. I should really freeze some melon as well...

    ReplyDelete