Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beef Rouladen

Last weekend at the farmer's market I picked up 2 long pieces of beef rouladen. It's quite a tough cut of meat and requires a long cooking time to break down the sinew. Rarely do I use recipes to cook (and I suppose this time was no different), rather just as inspiration or guidance. Nevertheless, I ought to pay credit to Jean Anderson's latest book, "Falling Off the Bone." I sliced the beef in half to make 4 decently sized pieces. Sweet onions, wilted arugula, Serano ham and a minced home-made pickles was rolled into the beef, browned in butter, then simmered for 1 1/2 hours in a sauce of mirepoix, beef stock, fennel seeds, tomatoes and chunky mushrooms. Purée and reduce the sauce and finish with Italian parsley and serve with green vegetables like steamed broccoli and sugar snap peas. The result is melt-in-your-mouth good! (See pictures below for step-by-step).







 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment