Thursday, February 26, 2015

Fennel and Carrot Slaw with Sherry Vinegar Dressing

If you're craving a creamy slaw, this is a nice alternative to the classic cabbage style. Instead of mayonnaise I use tahini, and to achieve the tanginess I opt for a combo of grapefruit juice and sherry vinegar.

In the bottom of a big salad bowl combine: 2 tbs tahini, the juice of 1 grapefruit (after cutting out the segments and reserving for later), 1 tbs of sherry vinegar, 2 tbs olive or avocado oil, all the fennel frawns of one bulb minced, and plenty of salt and pepper. Whisk together and taste. When it is a little overbearing you've done it right! It should look creamy and taste a little too tangy and salty for your liking, as it will soon disperse over heaps of vegetables. Using a mandoline, or patience and a knife, julienne half a bulb of fennel and a carrot or two. Toss in the grapefruit segments and any other snappy veggies you've got on hand -- I used some blanched green beans I froze during the summer. Mix everything together will the dressing and adjust the seasoning for a final time. If you're feeling spry, at some more vinegar or heat. No one saw me put Sriracha all over this after taking the photo...



I honestly made this out of necessity for lunch when I was out of my typical salad ingredients in the fridge. It totally blew me away. The winner was the unexpected hit of grapefruit. It's a pleasant wake up on dreary February days.

No comments:

Post a Comment