Sunday, March 15, 2015

Apple, Cilantro, Spinach Salad

You either love or hate cilantro. I pulled the short straw and was born as one of the later. Unfortunately, this didn't jive with my culinary adventures and so I trained myself to like it! If you're in the same boat, I recommend weaning yourself onto the herb with "cilantro sprouts" which are smaller, softer, sweeter, and less mouthwash-y in taste. It's kind of like the baby-arugula for those who don't like grown-up arugula's peppery punch. Years ago I started adding baby/young cilantro in small amounts to guacamole, eggs, marinades, etc. Now, I am happy to report, I have graduated to appreciate big-girl cilantro for all of it's robust flavour and health benefits. This herb is known to be a phenomenal heavy-metal detoxifier in the body. So, this dressing consisted of: tbs tahini, 1/2 avocado, 1 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar, 2 tbs minced cilantro, pink himalayan salt, pepper, and water to thin it out. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Next, I chopped up half a large apple, added a big handful of baby spinach, an 1/8th bulb of chopped fennel (last minute bingo addition), a few spoons of rice and lentils, and lots more cilantro leaves. Always taste as you go with salads and season to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment