Friday, October 16, 2015

Eggplant and Fig Dip

This is halfway between a traditional baba ganoush and a tangy tapenade. I've been dipping cucumber and pepper slices into it all week. Tuck a bowl of dip in the fridge and you're never without an instant snack. Fast food at its best. The vinegar in the dip develops the flavor over a few days, making it taste more pickled. As usual, no recipe is needed. Go with your tastebuds and keep adjusting the salty/sweet/sourness until you are happy with the final result.

In a blender or food processor, mix the following until chunky or pureed:

- 1 large or 2 small eggplants; baked 45 minutes at 425F and soft part scooped out
- Handful of fresh or dried figs; if the latter then use more liquid
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 huge handful of fresh parsley leaves
- Big spoonful of tahini
- Big spoonful of balsamic vinegar; I used fig-flavoured
- Big spoonful of olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Big pinch of garahm masala


2 comments:

  1. I have tried many recipes with eggplant but have never made a dip before. The recipe seems to have unique blend of flavors will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the same recipe my grand mother used to make. Its the traditional way in my town to cook egg plants and trust me its so delicious. I know usually people don't like egg plants but you will surely like this method.

    ReplyDelete